Brighton Royal Pavilion & Lanes

22 Apr 2014


Brighton is an easy day trip from London. It is located on the southern coast of Great Britain and it takes just about an hour and a half to get there. Brighton is an adorable little coastal town with winding "lane" streets and a sweet village-y disposition. I went with a friend and her parents and it was just nice to walk around aimlessly and get some fresh air. 

Brighton has a lot to offer, much more than I probably know, but for our day trip we mainly focused on the Royal Pavilion, the Lanes and the Brighton Pier. The first landmark we came across was the Royal Pavilion. I typically don't do audio tours for a couple of reason, one: they cost money and two: I'm just too cool, but I am glad that I paid the extra £11 to go inside and listen to the history of the Royal Pavilion. 

Okay, so this palace was the Prince Regent, a.k.a. George IV's getaway from the ordinary and mundane. Trust me this gets better...  He loved Indian and Chinese culture and architecture, so the exterior of the palace was Indian inspired and the interior was Chinese inspired. (Sorry, no pictures were allowed from inside and the sneaky ones I took were really poor! Oh well.) 

The most amazing part of this audio tour was hearing about how. much. of. a. LAD. George. was! Basically, he built this exorbitant palace (and went bankrupt many times trying to complete it), to entertain, have crazy parties, play by his own rules (example: sit boy, girl, boy girl at the dinner table, HOW CLEVER?! ), drink a ton of booze and sleep with A LOT of women. Like, A LOT. Like I said, straight up lad. 

Eventually, he got super fat from his awesome poor lifestyle and his health seriously deteriorated. Y'all, this guy created underground tunnels so the service staff couldn't see him because they would make fun of him for being so fat. He also used a walker *with wheels and a seat* that connected around his whole body to glide around the palace. OMG! I neeeeeeeed that! I mean, this guy was a serious boss, for shizzle! In his defense, he wasss one of the first people to have a bathroom connected to the Master bedroom because he was big to go much further than that. So, basically he is a genius in my book!

I think many of us will agree that if he were alive during our college years, he would have been our friend, or maybe even our boyfriend... I mean, frat fat is okay, right?!

LOL! Anywayzzz, there were many other fun facts about this guy, but I will save something of the tour if you choose to go!
There isn't much to say about the Brighton Lanes, except they are these narrow interconnected streets and alleyways that house cute shops and restaurants. Basically, it's just a cute area to walk around and peruse. Very relaxing, very quaint. I don't specifically know the actual dimensions of the Lanes, so I just included other pictures from our walk around Brighton.
Click the link for pictures from Brighton Pier!

No comments

Post a Comment

© TEAM STARNES. Design: Maira Gall.